Swimming can be a glorious activity whether you are casual or competitive, but it can be a scary experience - and even a life-threatening one - for those who don’t know what they’re doing. Swimming safety for everyone is of paramount importance in our community. Swim lessons are made available to children of all ages (members only, of course), and those lessons are taught by a select group of Highland Lakes’ lifeguards who are certified as Water Safety Instructors.
Registration for Swim Lessons begins on Memorial Day weekend and is due before June 25th.
How to Register:
- Confirm your child's level category below.
- Decide your preferred Beach Locations & Times Slots.
- COMPLETE THIS FORM
- Swim lesson schedules will be posted in TOPS and at the Activity Center.
Swim Level Categories
Parents will be required to be in the water with their younger children who need assistance.
Lifeguards will perform a skills test on each swimmer on their first day of lessons to place them at the appropriate level. Parents should review the swim level categories below to become familiar with what their child should know in order to choose the appropriate level on the registration form. During the child's skills test, if a Lifeguard feels that the child needs to be placed in a different swim-level category it will be discussed with the parent and explained accordingly. Safety is first and foremost.
Swimmers will perform the Cooper 12-minute swim test and compare with pre-assessment results, perform a front approach and hurdle feet-first and head-first entry from a 1 meter springboard (if applicable), for lifeguard readiness in addition to above skills that are applicable: Swim 20 yards using a front crawl or breaststroke to a depth of 7 to 10 feet, retrieve a 10 lb. object, return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back or side to the starting point with the object (students must hold object with both hands and keep his or her face out of the water) with additional skills for Personal Water Safety in addition to the above skills before completion of the American Red Cross swim program.
- Lessons are conducted at Beach 1, Beach 3 (TBD), and the Swim Lanes on the Main Lake.
- Weekday (Monday - Thursday) lessons are 30 minutes long.
- Weekend lessons (Beach 1 only) are 45-60 minutes long.
- Lessons start at 10:00 AM.
- Last lesson is at 3:00 PM.
- Level 5 is at 1:30 PM and Level 6 is at 2:30 PM at the Swim Lanes.